statement

Most of my work is a journey, as well as statement of my surroundings. Things happen all around us all the time, whether we acknowledge them or ignore them are always up to us.


I try to record some of mine, but life moves so fast, I just can't get them all, I attempt to nail down a certain Idea, feeling, something I have seen, or story I've been told, an experience that has made a lasting impression..... We all have similar pleasures and fears I attempt to come clean, without spelling everything out, I would rather you try to figure some of these things out, come up with your own conclusion, to have you pay more attention to your own world.


At one point or another we all end up in one of my paintings, what you see here, could help you decipher where you are, where you have been, and where you are going.



Not all of it is pretty.



JBK





Friday, January 30, 2009

Soul

acrylic/canvas



3 comments:

Holly Friesen said...

...and a beautiful soul it is, what a challenging idea, to paint your soul...perhaps every painting is a part of our soul revealing itself, that's why it feels so vulnerable and raw when we expose the parts that are most often hidden from others. Thank-you for showing your soul so openly, I think I will try a similar piece although I can feel the resistance rising already.
I know that I for one, definitely think too much but find that when I am painting I become more sensate and feeling oriented. Painting grounds me by taking me out of my head and putting me back in my body.

jbkrost said...

thanks
I agree.... well put.
I was reluctant to open the true door to the painting, but found no other option when trying to explain the myself in simple and short terms....
I probably could not even with 20 pages.
my mom said I've always had an "old soul" even as a little guy.
I guess I'm still digging.
I challenge you to paint yours then let us see
jbk
ps I resisted it from the first brush stroke

Holly Friesen said...

Thanks for your comments on the gypsy queen,
I was thrilled that you found her to be the landscape and figure combined, this is what I have wanted to paint for years but have never known how to approach it. I kept thinking about how i would paint my soul while I was working on her so maybe there is a part of my soul in there too :) thanks to you!